Wholegrain Ethical Policy
Wholegrain Digital was established with the objective of making a positive impact on the world by helping good people do good things while working in a way that has minimal negative impact on society and the environment. Our ultimate goal is to create a company that has a genuine positive impact on the world, and we will continually strive towards that goal.
A big part of the impact that we have revolves around the type of projects that we work on. We work with clients in many different industries and try to work with positive people on positive projects. This is determined on a case by case basis where we feel that there is a good fit. However, we positively and negatively screen projects to ensure that they fit with our values.
To clarify, we primarily screen projects instead of clients due to the fact that many organisations are complex and are engaged in many activities, so it is quite possible that a single client could be engaged in projects that we would refuse to work on while also being engaged in positive projects that we would love to be involved with. However, there may be extreme cases where the parent organisation fails our screening to such an extent that the team feel uncomfortable being associated with them even on a positive project, in which case we would decline the project on that basis.
We will aim to work on projects that:
- promote a healthy natural environment, such as clean energy and non-toxic goods
- reduce consumption of physical goods
- reduce waste
- raise awareness of important environmental, social and ethical issues
- tackle injustice
- provide education
- encourage and support healthy lifestyles
- create and maintain a fair and well functioning society
We also aim to work on projects where the client organisation:
- promotes fairness and equality in the workplace
- pays all workers fairly
- has strong, well documented social and environmental policies
- is a certified B Corp
We will not undertake projects that directly promote any of the following:
- Animal agriculture and animal products
- Arms, ammunition and conflict
- Fossil fuels
- Gambling (with the possible exception of pro poker)
- GM (that’s genetically modified crops, not General Motors)
- Predatory financial services such as loan sharks
In practice, many projects do not fit neatly into a particular category because real life is a lot more blurry. Therefore if there is ambiguity, it will be discussed openly within the team and a collective decision made.