We’re looking for a Senior Developer who is passionate about building brilliant WordPress websites and other experiences on the web.
You’ll be an experienced developer who loves the buzz of agency life and enjoys collaborating on a wide range of projects with a team as passionate as you are about having a positive impact on people and the planet.
This is an opportunity to join our open-minded and creatively-curious team, working together to deliver exciting, innovative, accessible, and sustainable websites.
The majority of the time you’ll be working to deliver, maintain, and improve world-leading sustainable WordPress websites for the mission aligned organisations we work with.
Primarily you’ll be coding. This may be on a full end-to-end project, working on smaller tasks for existing sites to ensure they’re in tip-top shape, or investing time building on internal projects, such as our open source Granola framework and our website carbon calculator.
Day-to-day you’ll also be working closely with other senior developers, the wider agency and our clients to lend technical expertise to a wide range of conversations.
- Solid experience developing custom WordPress themes; you’ll have a passion for PHP, experience with the Gutenberg editor, and a clear understanding of most things HTML and CSS. And at least a sprinkling of Vanilla JS expertise.
- Experience of agency life as a developer; technically, includes version control, build tools, fixing bugs and dealing with hosting/servers/APIs. More broadly, this would be scoping and estimating time for various projects, with an understanding of the pressures of the organisations you work with.
- Excellent communication skills; you’ll be able to communicate technically complicated things in a way that’s easy to understand to both colleagues and clients, and you’ll have a willingness to speak up when things aren’t going to plan.
- A keenness to learn and improve; you continually review ways of working, site performance, accessibility, sustainability and UX and design. You have a dedication to continued professional development.
- Experience working with and supporting other developers; this can range from collaboratively addressing problems and finding solutions together, to mentoring other developers on the team.
We work to create an inclusive and supportive environment in which people are empowered to do their best work and are valued for their contribution, regardless of their background. If you don’t tick all the boxes above but feel you could bring something to the Wholegrain table then please do apply!
To consider your application, we’ll need to see:
- Your CV
- A cover letter, explaining why you would like to work at Wholegrain Digital and why you would be a good fit for the role
Please include 3 examples of sites with links and a brief description of each:
- The one you built most recently
- One you really enjoyed working on
- A wildcard (whatever you want and why you’ve chosen it)
The Application Process
For this role, our application process typically has a few steps:
- We’ll review your application and we’ll aim to get back to you within a week, but it may be slightly longer. If you don’t hear from us within 2 weeks we’ve likely decided not to continue with your application. Feel free to contact us for more information
- Initial chat with our People Manager (30 mins)
- Interview with one of our Senior Developers (up to 45 minutes)
- Technical Test to do at home (varied length)
- Final Interview with the founders.
We’re committed to creating an inclusive and diverse workplace, if any part of the recruitment process needs to be modified to accommodate your needs, please get in touch with the People Manager.
What’s in it for you?
At Wholegrain Digital we are on a mission to use design and web technology to help create a sustainable future. Established in 2007, we partner with leading organisations and brands making positive change in our world. We are also proud to be a Certified B Corporation, and we’ve been recognised as Best For The World™ twice in a row!
Our talented, multidisciplinary team works flexibly on a semi-remote basis, so most days you’ll likely be working from home. However we thrive on collaboration and face to face time, so we aim to meet at least once a week at our co-working space in Somerset House, London.
Aside from working with a supportive team in a purpose-lead, mission-driven company we offer:
We appreciate that everyone has different personal commitments at different times, so we are always open to flexible working requests to meet your individual needs.
You’ll mostly be working from home but the team has currently two co-working; Somerset House in London and PlusX in Brighton, where you can take advantage of a wide range of discounts and invitations to local events.
There’s also a healthy dose of chatter across Slack if that’s your thing.
Team days and socials
- Regular socials, team lunches, and dinners
- Away days and company trips
Green living benefits
- ⚡ Extra days leave for using renewable energy at home
- 🚝 Extra days of leave for choosing green travel
- 🚲 Offer of free bike access for travel around Central London
- Your birthday off
- Paid volunteering opportunities
- Extra days for length of service
Training and development
- Opportunities for personal and professional development
- Paid sustainable travel to events and conferences
Enrolment to mental health support provider Spill, which offers a wide range of services including counselling, therapy, and management training.
Spill takes the pulse of all their companies annually on how employees are feeling. In Jan 2023 Wholegrain was awarded within the top 25 companies for low anxiousness/focus/enthusiasm/low stress and excitement!
£35k – £45k
So if you’d like to work in a company that puts its people and the environment at the heart of everything we do, then please get in touch!
Recruitment agencies – please don’t contact us.