At Wholegrain Digital, our work is our passion project. We collaborate to solve real problems in the world and inspire positive change in our industry and beyond. We are looking for a WordPress Developer who is passionate about sustainability to join our fantastic team.
About Wholegrain Digital
Wholegrain Digital is on a mission to use design and web technology to help create a sustainable future. We want to lead the way in becoming a truly sustainable business and greening the internet.
Established in 2007, we are one of Europe’s most established WordPress web design agencies, working with some of the world’s most positive organisations and we are proud to be a Certified B Corporation.
Based in London, our team adopt a semi-remote working culture with the aim of providing the perfect balance of customer service, team interaction, and work-life harmony. We work to create an inclusive and supportive environment in which people are empowered to do their best work and are valued for their contribution, regardless of their background. Our non-conventional structure avoids politics and bureaucracy, encouraging all team members to challenge and be challenged in order to continually improve every aspect of what we do.
About the role
Wholegrain Digital is a world leader in sustainable web design and development. We are looking for a WordPress Developer to help with our support and digital sustainability projects who is self-driven has high attention to detail and excellent technical capabilities. If this sounds like you and you’d like to work in a company that puts the environment and purpose at the heart of everything we do, then please get in touch!
This is a full-time position in a nice and open environment. We currently adopt a semi-remote approach and we split time between our London office at Somerset House and working from home. However, we are flexible and open to considering candidates who wish to work completely remote.
As a developer, you will closely work with our retainer clients and provide support on a variety of maintenance tasks whilst also working on our digital sustainability consulting projects and the development of our internal tools. You will focus on solving technical challenges for customers, delivering new functionality and implementing best practices in sustainable web development with the wider support from the team.
- Advanced understanding of WordPress
- Experienced in PHP, HTML, SCSS and JS
- Solid knowledge of and passion for the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG), including WCAG 2.0 and WCAG 2.1
- Experience with multilingual and multi-site WordPress installs
- Experience with Version Control systems (Git)
- Experience using build tools (Gulp, webpack, Sass)
- Experience with automated deployment
- Experience integrating third-party APIs
- Understanding of fundamentals of DNS configurations, CDNs and SSL.
Are you the right sort of person?
We are looking for someone who has the above skills to do the job, but perhaps more importantly, we are looking for someone who has the right attitude and who shares our vision to create a sustainable business and to help green the web. This is also the perfect opportunity if you wish to learn more about digital sustainability.
- Be a proactive communicator
- Have the ability to communicate without jargon
- Instinctively look to always help those around you
- Comfortable working on multiple projects at once and able to switch focus to adapt to shifting business priorities
- Always strive to make things better
- Have an eagerness to learn
- Believe in the importance of standardisation and processes
- A passion for finding new solutions and approaches and being a champion for these in your team
- Keen to share knowledge with other developers
- Have the ability to understand business requirements of Wholegrain and our clients
- Have the ability to work under pressure, with high attention to detail
- Have the ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Be naturally honest and dependable.
Compensation and benefits:
- Flexible working
- Competitive salary, based on experience, the range for this role is £35 to £45K
- 22 days of holiday + 8 bank holidays
- Birthday off
- Extra day of leave for using renewable energy at home
- Paid volunteering opportunities, team days & team lunches
- Free access to London’s Santander bikes
- Climate Perks Scheme
- Discounts and invitations to events and facilities at Somerset House
Our Recruitment Process:
- If we like the look of your CV and portfolio, we’ll be in touch to organise an initial telephone call to get to know you better
- From there, we’ll ask you to complete a development test that we’ve put together
- If you’ve wowed us with your coding skills, we’ll invite you to attend a face-face interview with our Developers, People team and our Directors.
How To Apply:
We get a lot of good CVs but what we are really looking for is a remarkable individual. Please ensure you attach a cover letter, CV and samples of your code with your application. Please note, we will only be in contact with successful applicants.
Recruitment agencies – please don’t contact us.