About the role
Wholegrain Digital is a world leader in sustainable web design and development. We are looking for a Lead WordPress Developer who will help lead the companies’ innovation in low carbon, accessible websites and commercial efficiency in development. We are looking for someone who is self-driven, has a high attention to detail and excellent technical capabilities. If this sounds like you, then do get in touch.
This is a full time, semi remote position in an open and relaxed environment. You will split your time between working from home, our office at Somerset House in London, and meetings at client offices in London. (Due to Covid-19 we are currently working from home full time)
Salary: £42,000-48,000 pa
As a Lead Developer, you will be leading the development team, owning the dev team tooling and ensuring that the companies’ technical approach is achieving its goals for the business, for users and for the planet. You will help assist with the dev team’s personal development and help them to improve their technical skill set.
You will be expected to develop highly efficient and crafted websites mainly in WordPress and plugins to match the project requirements. In most cases, you would be involved in producing a functional specification for the project, and eventually a website designed in Sketch. As a design-led agency, you should have a keen eye for detail and a passion for making beautiful experiences on the web. Wholegrain is leading the way in low carbon websites and whilst it’s not expected that you are already practicing low carbon web design, you must be hungry to take on this challenge. We also have a number of retainer clients so there will also be varied support and maintenance tasks to carry out. Whilst you will be working on client projects, we are also looking for someone with great interpersonal skills, a talent for unblocking problems, vision for the future of WordPress and the web, and a natural ability to get others on board with positive change. You will be responsible for driving continuous improvement to our technical operations as well as taking ownership of maintaining and improving our internal tools and processes..
If you can inspire others, bring people together around a common goal, have a passion for technical excellence, are a clear communicator and always put the success of the team first, then this could be the right role for you.
Please refer to this ARCI sheet for full details of accountabilities and responsibilities.
Do you have the relevant experience?
- Highly experienced in PHP, HTML, SCSS and JS development, with considerable experience developing custom WordPress themes and plugins
- A working knowledge of Gutenberg
- Solid knowledge of and passion for the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG), including WCAG 2.0 and WCAG 2.1
- Experience with multilingual and multi-site WordPress installs
- Experience with Version Control systems (Git)
- Experience configuring and maintaining build tools (Gulp, webpack, Sass)
- Experience with basic server configuration and dev ops such as automated deployment
- Experience integrating third-party APIs
- Understanding of best practices for user experience
- Experience leading a team of developers
Bonus points for:
- Developed an open sourced project
- Written articles and given talks
Are you the right sort of person?
We are looking for someone who has the above skills to do the job, but perhaps more importantly, we are looking for someone who has the right attitude and who shares our vision to create a sustainable business and to help green the web.
- Be able to lead a development team to achieve positive goals together
- Champion the personal development of other developers
- Communicate proactively without jargon
- Have good problem-solving skills and the ability to think clearly and logically
- Take ownership of projects
- Instinctively look to always help those around you
- Be a confident facilitator, able to lead a group to conclusions without ego or personal bias
- Enjoy variety and have the ability to switch
- Always strive to make things better
- Have an eagerness to learn
- Believe in the importance of standardisation and processes
- Understand business requirements and how they relate to technical solutions
- Have the ability to prioritise and work to deadlines while ensuring high attention to detail
- Be naturally honest and dependable.
- Flexible working
- Rewards for using renewable energy at home
- Team Days
- Competitive salary based on experience
- Free access to London’s Santander bikes
- Paid travelling for events in Europe
- Discounts and invitations to events and facilities at Somerset House
Our Recruitment Process:
- If we like the look of your CV and portfolio, we’ll be in touch to organise an initial telephone call to get to know you better
- From there, we’ll ask you to complete a development test that we’ve put together
- If you’ve wowed us with your coding skills, we’ll invite you to attend a face-face interview (Due to Covid-19, we will be conducting interviews via Google Hangout)
How To Apply:
We get a lot of good CVs but what we are really looking for is a remarkable individual. Please ensure you attach a cover letter, CV and samples of your code with your application. Please note, we will only be in contact with successful applicants.
Recruitment agencies – please don’t contact us.