As the Design Lead, you will be responsible for leading and overseeing the creative vision for the agency and be our brand guardian, delivering to our brand position and guidelines. You will ensure that all creative work is of the highest quality and aligns with the agency’s values and mission and work closely with the team to develop and implement innovative solutions and processes that support our clients in telling their stories and achieving their goals. You will be key to identifying and defining new service offerings within the creative team that can provide wider value to both Wholegrain and our clients.
A point of view on the future of design is important. Wholegrain Digital is a place to innovate and push the boundaries of how we see the digital space as a whole. As a key role within our team, the Design Lead will use design and creativity to deliver sustainable design that brings our clients, partners and wider industry along with us.
About Wholegrain Digital
Wholegrain Digital is on a mission to use design and web technology to help create a sustainable future. We want to lead the way in becoming a truly sustainable business and greening the internet.
Established in 2007, we are one of Europe’s most established WordPress web design agencies, working with some of the world’s most positive organisations and we are proud to be a Certified B Corporation.
Although Wholegrain is based in London, our team is hybrid and so spread outside of the capital. Collectively, we work to create an inclusive and supportive environment in which people are empowered to do their best work and are valued for their contribution, regardless of their background. Our structure actively encourages personal growth and innovation as well as leaving space for the team to challenge and be challenged in order to continually improve every aspect of what we do.
Role and accountabilities
- A guardian for the Wholegrain brand, our values and how we communicate externally.
- Lead the creative direction for the agency, setting the design aesthetic and standards for all project work.
- Oversee the creative process from concept to completion where needed, ensuring that all work meets the highest standards of quality and creativity.
- Working with our strategy and UX team to align processes.
- Stimulate collaboration within the team to develop innovative design solutions that can be applied to our clients needs.
- Define service offerings within the branding and digital design space as well as new approaches to solving the challenges both we and our clients have identified.
- Manage and mentor the design team, providing guidance and support to ensure their professional development.
- Work closely with the strategy and new business team to identify and contribute to the development of pitches and proposals through the lens of our creative offering.
- Stay ahead of industry trends and best practices to continually evolve Wholegrain’s creative offering.
- Strong design experience within an agency setting, with some of that experience being in a leadership or management role.
- A portfolio of work, spanning digital design and brand creation work.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, with the ability to clearly articulate design concepts and ideas to clients and team members.
- Proficiency in design software such as Figma and Adobe Creative Suite.
- Experience working with an ethical or socially responsible company is a plus.
This is a full time role, 40 hours per week (9 to 5), semi remote but there is the potential for flexible working or a 4 day week. We normally would ask you to spend one of your working days per week in our London office but this is a request, not a given.
The role is offered £45-£48k pa salary and 22 days of paid holiday + 8 bank holidays.
There may be days in the office when you are needed to bond with the team, do client visits, events and pitches. You are also welcome to work at our shared office space within Somerset House whenever you like and there are always people that are happy to join.
- If we like the look of your cv and portfolio, we’ll be in touch to organise a quick initial call to get to know you better – this is casual and friendly, promise! It will also give you the chance to meet someone from our leadership team to give you an idea of whether we meet what you are looking for.
- If we get on in the initial call, we’ll invite you to an interview with a couple of members of our team.
- The final stage is a creative task so you have the chance to stretch your creative legs and demonstrate in practice how you work. We will contact you within 1 week to let you know the outcome.
- Flexible working is an option.
- An additional paid holiday if you use renewable energy at home and additional days for length of service.
- You will have access to the SPILL mental health support platform with access to therapy sessions.
- Access to Santander bikes if you plan to use them.
- Birthdays off.
- Climate Perks Days.
- Somerset House discounts.
- Opportunities for learning and development by attending conferences and training courses.
The biggest benefit is of course working with clients and a team that want to use business as a force for good and build a more sustainable web.
How To Apply
Simply click the below “Apply for this role” button and fill in your application! Please remember to submit your CV and a portfolio link in your application!
Please note, we get a lot of good looking applications so will only respond to successful applicants.
We look forward to talking to you!
Recruitment agencies – please don’t contact us.