We are looking for a Contract WordPress Developer who is aligned with our values and approach so that we can build a strong long term relationship. A strong technical background and high level of attention to detail is a must.
About the role
Wholegrain Digital is a world leader in sustainable web design and development. We are looking for a Contract WordPress Developer who is self-driven, has a high attention to detail and excellent technical capabilities. We are looking for someone who is aligned with our values and approach so that we can build a strong long term relationship. If this sounds like you, then do get in touch.
This is a flexible contract role in an open and relaxed environment. You may work fully remote or semi-remote in our London office.
As a developer, you will be expected to develop bespoke WordPress themes (not a theme modification) and plugins to match the project requirements. In most cases, you would be provided a website designed in Sketch, with a functional specification detailing expected functionality. The end result should be pixel perfect, accessible, responsive, efficient (low carbon emissions), secure, and performant. Our websites are built with Granola, our open source WordPress starter theme.
Does this sound like you?
As a developer, you should be comfortable working with, and be proficient at:
- Building bespoke WordPress themes and plugins to match the project specifications. In particular user interfaces for websites, mobile and web applications
- Building accessible websites
- Writing efficient, performant and accessible code
- Creating custom post types, custom fields and Gutenberg blocks (via ACF) for an intuitive administration experience
- A strong understanding of modern CSS properties
- Ability to take static designs and create truly responsive pages which look great on any device
- Working with build tools and dependency management (Composer, npm, gulp, webpack)
- Integrating third-party APIs
- Working with version control systems (Git)
- An understanding of website security best practices, especially within WordPress
- Technical onsite SEO
- Ensuring cross browser compatibility for modern browsers.
In summary, you will be an enthusiastic problem solver, with a modern approach to development and an appreciation for well structured and clean code. You will have the ability to improve on current processes and contribute ideas to the design and development teams.
Are you the right sort of person?
We are looking for someone who has the above skills to do the job, but perhaps more importantly, we are looking for someone who has the right attitude and who shares our vision to create a sustainable business and to help green the web.
- Be a proactive communicator
- Have the ability to communicate without jargon
- Instinctively look to always help those around you
- Be a confident facilitator, able to lead a group to conclusions without ego or personal bias
- Enjoy variety and have the ability to switch between tasks
- Always strive to make things better
- Have an eagerness to learn and improve your skills
- Believe in the importance of standardisation and processes
- Have the ability to understand business requirements of Wholegrain and our clients
- Have the ability to work under pressure, with high attention to detail
- Have the ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Be naturally honest and dependable.
How To Apply:
Please send your day/ hourly rate, CV, links to recent projects and description of your involvement to [email protected] or you can start a conversation by calling 02071128240. Please note, we get a lot of good looking applications, so will only respond to successful applicants.
We look forward to talking to you!
Recruitment agencies – please don’t contact us.